Advertisement

ACV Treatment

topic posted Thu, July 3, 2008 - 5:46 AM by  .:R O O T S Y:.
Share/Save/Bookmark
I've seen many posts about dread "products." I strongly suggest just using ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar). It's cheap, natural and it does wonders. It helps restore the proper ph balance in your hair, get rid of dandruff and itchies, makes your scalp feel fresh, and it actually makes my dreads feel tighter.
posted by:
.:R O O T S Y:.
Maryland
Advertisement
  • Re: ACV Treatment

Thu, July 3, 2008 - 1:32 PM
    Wow…I'll have to try that out. I do acv shots in the morning for digestion, I never thought to use vinegar in hair.

Fri, July 4, 2008 - 6:39 PM
      Word...I use about a cup, full strength (that may depend on length of your dreads though...I rub it on my scalp and saturate my dreads with it. Throw up your dreads in a shower cap/plastic bag/or towel and leave for 15-20 minutes. Rinse with shampoo (I use peppermint castille soap). You can use it as needed, I do it about every 3 days.

Sat, July 5, 2008 - 5:08 AM
        Thanks for posting about how you use it. I have tired ACV in the past but just in a squirt bottle deluted with water and it didn't work. Using the Lush Soak and Float now and it works well but is expensive.

Sat, July 5, 2008 - 4:15 PM
          you're welcome...

Thu, July 10, 2008 - 11:28 AM
            so... i did this... my head feels better for it... but...

even though i rinsed and rinsed, and washed with DB tea tree soap.. my head stunk for about a day...

this normal??

Fri, July 11, 2008 - 8:14 AM
              @aE - i use a peppermint castille soap to wash out my dreads after acv. the peppermint has a much stronger scent which takes care of any lingering odors...

Thu, July 10, 2008 - 1:38 PM
    Thanx for the suggestions. I had used ACV in the past for hair & scalp in general, but it never occurred to me to use it for dreads. Not sure why, but I thought it might hinder locking when I read your post.

I couldn't have been more wrong! I helped lock up some stubborn areas and tighten things up in general. Worked wonders!

Thanx again.

Fri, July 11, 2008 - 8:16 AM
      @ david - i'm so glad it worked! yes, i always notice my dreads are tighter as well, right after i acv. it also makes my scalp feel so clean and fresh.

Wed, July 16, 2008 - 9:14 AM
    I personally like the smell of apple cider vinegar ... but maybe that's because I lost half my sense of smell years ago. Of course, it's a little unpleasant when you're pouring a large amount over your head -- the fumes are pretty overwhelming, lol. I just tried this a little while ago. It IS great for the scalp!

Okay, if you're thinking about using a plastic grocery bag, don't. Unless it's one without any colorful print... I just tried that and got a giant blue streak across my forehead, haha. It happened RIGHT AWAY, just as I was tying it to my head. It came off easily -- fortunately. Also, when I was scrambling to get another bag from under the bathroom sink and the vinegar was dripping everywhere, the cabinet handle just popped off ... it was humorous.

I'm definitely going to try this again. I'm thinking about buying a spray bottle to put the vinegar in; it'd make applying it a lot easier.

Wed, July 16, 2008 - 9:29 AM
      i actually had very little dripping with the full cup of ACV, which was surprising to me... mine just smelled for a day... head feels better for it, and the smell wont deter me at all... i just have to plan it better, or try some different ways to get rid of the smell... its actually the only time i have gotten any 'looks' with my dreads...

Sat, August 2, 2008 - 9:15 AM
    Hello All: Thanks Rootsy for positing info. Tried it for the first time today and my dreads do feel a little bit tighter...I also suggest using Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar if anybody wanted any recommendations...

Recent topics in "dreadlocks"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Can I fix bad sectioning? ~D~ 9 Yesterday, 2:42 PM
Gummy feeling inside dreads...PLEASE HELP!!!!! Cathy 2 Yesterday, 1:20 PM
Honey Dreads/ Sweet locks Hennie 7 March 9, 2014
Joining dreds to regular hair cassandra 1 November 21, 2013