Advertisement

Good shampoo's for dread locks?

topic posted Sat, March 3, 2007 - 9:50 PM by  Michael
Share/Save/Bookmark
HAY GUYS LOL

i got dread locks, about a week ago and will probably wash them soon. and i was wondering what are some good shampoos for dreads? i've looked around, and found that residue free shampoos are scare, and i was planning on buying the DQ one, but i don't really wanna pay 20$ for a shampoo. i checked my local walmart and the only non residue shampoo they had was Neutragena anti residue shampoo. i've asked different people about Neutragena, and got mixed results. some said it was okay, others said it adds residude because of the scent. i dunno.
posted by:
Michael
Ohio
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

I rinse my hair with a mixture of Baking Soda. It's so cheap it's practically free, cleans my hair and scalp well and leaves no residue.

Just get a large glass, mix a few tablespoons of Baking Soda, fill it with water, rinse it over your entire head when you are in the shower (make sure you're hair is wet before you rinse it), let it sit a minute, gently massage the scalp and rinse out. Super easy. I do the rinse one to two times depending how long it has been since I washed my hair. I usually wash once a week.
  • Lots of people swear by Neutragena, others say use it only when you get dandruf. Are there any "Earth Store"s around? That sell stuff like essential oils and other natural products? You can get Dr.Bronners shampoo there, it's a fair amount of money, like $10 for a small bottle, but you're sopposed to dilute it like 1:8 or something like that and it last's FOREVER. That's what I use, the peppermint... yum! Also you can get away with using Suave Clarrifying Shampoo at Wal-Mart and Dollar General stores.... My best friend uses that for her new locs and they're locking up soooo nicely! and of course there's the extra economical and clean clean CLEAN baking soda suggestion.... That's about all I've heard of that's cheap....
  • ... and don't forget: not only do you want a residueless shampoo, but you need one without conditioner. Conditioner will make your hair all smooth and stuff, and your little dreaddies will come apart. Bad idea.
    I recommend Knotty Boy shampoo. The bar type. Smells great, and dries the shit out of your hair to help them lock up. My favorite trick is to wash my hair the day after a rave. All the salt of the sweat from hours and hours of trance dancing helps to make my hair a little rougher, and then the shampoo dries them rite out. Brilliant!
    And you really should wait before you wash for the first time, between three weeks and one month, just to give your dreaddies enough time to begin the locking process.
    Peace and Love,
    Nagdeo
    • Oh yeah! Oh yeah! I forgot about that little detail! (^_^;)> I washed my dreads the first time after a week and it was BAD! 2 dreads undid themselves and all the rest loosened up. It wasn't fun. Even though I had rubberbands at the ends. If at all possible, wait as long as possible. It'd be cool if you could wait a month..... There are sprays for your scalp if you get itchy or need a refresher.... Like a peppermint spray; water, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, lavender, rosemarry, in a spray bottle. EXCELLENT. Then I hear good things about Knotty Boy's peppermint cooling spray. And then there's this NakedMongo recipe for Scalp Treatment Oil;

Scalp Treatment Oil

(Enough for four 1oz. bottles)

4 ounces Jojoba Oil

15 drops Organic Tea Tree Oil

5 Drops Organic Lavender Oil

2 Drops Ylang Ylang Oil

2 Drops Lemon Oil

Combine in dropper top bottle. Shake before each use. Apply to roots & scalp as needed.

(It sounds silly, but Lavender actually helps repel buggy critters...a great plus to those of us who travel allot. Carry a spare bottle for bedsheets when you don't know about the bed your sleeping in. 5-10 drops on a mattress can do wonders.)

With all or some of that (or any of the others too that I likely don't know about) your scalp should be happy enough to wait at LEAST a month before the first wash!
      • thanks sicko, and others for all the suggestions, i was going to wash them in the second week, glad i know not to now...my scalp hasn't really been inchy at all. so i don't think i'll have a problem waiting.
        • No, waiting certainly isn't hard, especially if you've been gradually phasing out washing.
          I went from washing normal, straight hair every day, to every three days, to every five, then every week. Then, I did up my dreads. Now I wash every two weeks, or even longer, with no itch what so ever. The key is just that - to phase out washing. Your hair / scalp *will* adjust, you will produce less oil, and your hair will not smell.
  • I have been locking my hair for 10 years now and have used many products. I have discovered that ZUM CLEAN
    Frankincense & Myrrh Wash - which is used to clean clothes is the BEST for shampooing dreadlocks. I (accidentally) started using this after running out of shampoo while in the middle of washing my locks in the shower. It is truly a great discovery for me. My locks reach the middle of my back and of course I use a lot of shampoo. This products is concentrated so you do not have to use a lot of it. I got an empty dishwashing liquid bottle and put half Zum Wash and half water in it. It lathers up really nice.
    My hair is naturally soft and this does not make my hair hard at all. It not only cleans your locks but gets rid of any odors that build up in your locks and also leaves your locks with that great smell of Frankincense and Myrrh. I purchase this product at Whole Foods.

Here are the ingredients: Saponified 100% coconut oil, sodium borate (borax), sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), essential oils, fragrance oil and vegetable glycerin.
  • I find that Dr. Bronners hindered the locking process for me, it conditioned my hair way too much. I've also found that washing my hair fairly frequently has actually helped my locks to form. If I wait more than a week my hair starts getting naturally oily and the dreads start slipping out. But as soon as I wash it, it starts locking up again.

Personally I think clean hair locks up a lot better than unwashed oily hair.

No one else seems to like it, but I love Knotty Boy shampoo

Recent topics in "dreadlocks"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Honey Dreads/ Sweet locks Hennie 7 March 9, 2014
Joining dreds to regular hair cassandra 1 November 21, 2013
New Dreadlock videos Ten Nebula 0 June 4, 2013
dread maintentance in bangkok leslie 1 March 24, 2013